Advantages of Self-Documentation
The ability to self-document is one of Infosphere Datastage often overlooked and underappreciated capabilities. However, the ability to generate a very detailed technical design specification can provide several advantages:
- Time savings: The report only takes a minute, or so, for each job to generate, which is considerably faster than even a high-speed skill designer could create the document with the same level of detail.
- Accuracy: The report, at the time of generation, is rendered from the metadata and, there, contains no human errors such as typos, human assumptions, and/or omissions.
- Distributed User Accessibility: In addition to being able to save the reports off for other purposes, the report can be retained in the report repository and made available for viewing by teams and stakeholders, if so enable.
Report Generation Steps
Step 1: Log in to DataStage from your client.
Step 2: Navigate to the Job you wish to document and open/edit job.
Step 3: Go to ‘File’ > and Click on ‘Generate Report’.
Step 4: When the report Details dialog box appears:
- Choose Style Sheet
- Set ‘Automatically Purge After:’
- Edit Report Name and Description, if desired, and click ‘OK’.
Step 5 To view the report in DataStage, Click on the hyperlink in the DataStage box shown below.
Step 6: The rendered Datastage job report will appear in the web browser.
Step 7: to save the report for use outside of Infosphere, within the browser, navigate to ‘File’ > ‘Save As’.
Step 4: Navigate to the desired path and choose “Web Archive, single file (*.mht)” and Click Save. I have found the “*.mht” to be the best format for exporting DataStage reports, but you may choose any format which meets your needs.